Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Kolkata – Day 2


The second day in Kolkata also started slowly – and ended late.  Why do I say Kolkata?  Because the name of this city was changed some time ago, but I still say Calcutta.  I’m trying to change my habits.  Kolkata is the capital of the West Bengal area of India.  This area has a lot in common with Bangladesh – including the Bengali language.  I love the way most people non-verbally indicate “yes” here.  We Americans tend to nod our heads up and down, but I’ve found that is not universal.  Here, they indicate “yes” by keeping their face front, but wriggling their head side to side.  I’ve gotten quite good at it!

Victoria looks pretty imposing...
Madhu took us for another day of sightseeing.  We first toured the Victoria Memorial – which is quite a monument to her majesty!  On the grounds full of gardens, stands a huge statue that doesn't look all that welcoming!  

... but the flowers were welcoming.
The gallery inside the monument I liked the best contains the historical timeline of Kolkata.  It explained such events as the “black hole of Calcutta” incident in 1756.  Unfortunately, I have now forgotten most of what I read.  The one item I do recall vividly was  that in 1856, the first marriage of a widow was allowed legally.  Remarriage by widows was and is frowned upon by the Hindu religion -- sometimes leading to the “voluntary” practice of suti where a widow throws herself on the funeral pyre of her dead husband.  But, the reason this item on the timeline stood out for me was that the “widow” being allowed to remarry was 10 years old! 

I liked the "orange"
one person painted his balcony.
After the Victoria Memorial, we had plans for an afternoon and evening cruise on the Hooghly river.  Munu was going to meet us at the launch.   But, first we had to have lunch.  And, what amazed me was that a new friend we made at Shaz’s wedding drove clear across the city to join us for that quick lunch.  What an honor – again!  






The river cruise was very nice although I felt a little guilty.  We had a boat virtually to ourselves, while many others were lining up for their journeys in packed, older boats.


The lines were long.


 We started out in late afternoon, and looked at the city this time from the water level.  Many, many different sets of steps called ghats came down to the water; most were in use by people.  I enjoyed waving at kids.

Side by side ghats


On the Hooghly River

We didn't run out of gas!
...but, Jim felt chilled.
The sun had almost set by the time we stopped at a site for a Hindu service.  Entering the building, I saw immediately that the men and women sat in separate sections.  Most everyone sat on the floor; I was offered a stool.  We waited quietly.  Finally, many robed religious leaders came in chanting.  As I sat there listening to chanting not all that different than at St. John’s, I had to keep reminding myself, “I’m in Kolkata, India... at a Hindu service.” 

We left before the service was over to catch our boat back.  Riding back in the twilight presented a different view of the river, with people bathing and cleaning dishes along the shore.  





After returning to our rooms and cleaning up ourselves, we went over to Bapa and Munu’s place for dinner.  Cousins of theirs were visiting from Dallas.  Very nice to talk with, we enjoyed the evening a lot – including the dinner that was served at 10:30 p.m.  I’m not sure I could get used to the late dinners of India, but I sure could get used to the company!

Friends - Beth, Me, Madhu, Bapa, Munu and Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment