Friday, January 30, 2015

Rajib's Holud


On December 26, the morning of Rajib’s holud, I woke up very hoarse.  The weather in Dhaka was more damp and chillier than I imagined it would be.  That, and the fact that I was talking to everyone the day before, must have caught up with me.  I felt fine, but I had no voice whatsoever.  One Bangladeshi friend later observed, "Oh, you have a broken throat,” which I was told is the literal English translation for what is said in Bangla.  My broken throat and I still went to Rajib’s holud, although I sounded like a whispery frog.

 Early that day, Shaz left to get her henna done for the wedding day.  Her henna was applied to both hands from every fingertip to the elbow, and all the way around the arm.  It took over six hours to apply!  (She knew enough not to smear any.)

Rajib’s holud was held in the evening.  On this occasion, I dressed in a brown sari and Jim wore a new ivory Punjabi that he had bought earlier in the week.  As the bride-to-be traditionally does not attend the groom’s holud, everyone except Shaz left the flat around 5:00.  

With marigold petals in my hair
Rajib’s holud was also held in a beautiful venue.   This time, her family brought all the dalas for him and his family.  When we arrived at his holud, I found out that I was to go first.  I am to carry the most important dala --- the one for Rajib.  This one contains the clothes he is to change into right away and wear at his holud. 

Presentation of dalas
Jim, cousin Alvee, and Mark
We go up the stairs – and as we enter, marigold petals rain all around us and horns blow.  It is quite the greeting!  My eyes search desperately for Rajib, and can’t find him.  In the process, I hold up everyone behind me on the stairs.  Finally, someone takes his dala from me, I step aside, and the rest of the family/friends proceed in. 


John's cotton candy beard.  
Again, there is much merriment!  We are seated at a side table, and showered with sweets like cotton candy, honey-like spiral treats, and chai tea.  John makes quick use of his cotton candy! 
Apparently, he wanted to look more like Jim. 

When the dancing begins - starring Rajib’s sister and other family and friends, Jim and I are led to the front row, and get the privilege of sitting right next to Rajib. 
 
Rajib and Jim
(photobombed by Elizabeth)
Rajib also surprises us with a dance.  (Shaz later says she’s really impressed when she heard that.)   

Wonderful dancers!

Rajib joins in















I loved this little girl's sari

Mark and Beth are watched over by Alvee's mother on left,
and Rajib's mother on right.


We eat a wonderful dinner.  Even with all the tables, the people attending number in the high hundreds – so we eat in shifts.  When a table is done, they stand and new plates are set.

The last surprise happens late in the evening when Shazreh shows up – and joins in the fun.  Apparently, she didn’t like staying at home by herself!
  


Rajib's turmeric ceremony, with Nahar and Salehuddin


No comments:

Post a Comment