Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Akika


Imaani’s naming ceremony is held the evening of December 21st.   An akika is akin to a “christening” or baptism of a baby.   During the akika, Imaani’s name – which translates to faith - is offered to Allah. 

Prior to the akika, a goat is sacrificed.  Since Imaani is a girl, one goat is sacrificed.  (For a boy, two goats are killed.)  One-third of the meat is given to the poor.  One-third is kept by the family.  And, one-third is prepared and eaten at the akika.  The goat was cooked slowly all day.  Family members bring over many vegetable dishes and sweets to share. 

Nahar told me that the Akika would be “casual,” but when I show up, I feel VERY under-dressed in my khaki slacks and blouse.  LOTS of extended family members arrive.  The women are dressed in absolutely stunning saris; the men in colorful punjabis.  But soon, I forget about my clothes and just enjoy meeting the family, many who have come from Europe, Canada, and the US.  

I get momentarily confused when meeting Nahar’s sisters.  I ask Nahar how many sisters she has, and she answers, “I have three sisters. The oldest one lives in California and my younger sister lives in Texas.”  After some silence, I ask about her third sister.  Nahar looks confused; I look confused.  Finally, she smiles.  Oh, here we count ourselves in the number!  I guess I should have said ‘We are three sisters.’

"We are three sisters."
It was hard to keep all the other names and relationships straight, but everyone’s smiles welcomes us in as part of the family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment